News

Grooming ‘sting’ by vigilantes.

Wednesday, 6 December 2017

A VIGILANTE group named Silent Justice has tracked down and confronted a fisherman in Kilkeel accusing him of 'grooming' a young girl.

The incident resulted in group members interviewing a Filipino fisherman.

According to Silent Justice, the man had been communicating with, who he thought, was a 10- year-old girl believing he was meeting her on Friday evening.

Instead, Silent Justice met him in the town and recorded the exchange, uploading footage online. Police were later involved.

Mr Busmion, who according to a local councillor has been living in the area for a month, groomed a 10-year-old 'girl' who was a decoy online. He sent and requested explicit messages and pictures before asking to meet her and her younger siblings for sexual activity.

The footage of the meeting was posted by Silent Justice on their Facebook page and quickly spread across social media.

Viewed over 250,000 times, the video was shared nearly 4,000 times and received nearly 8,000 reactions.

The group Silent Justice 'SJ-6' says it aims to educate children to the dangers of social media and online grooming, according to their Facebook page.

In recent months, the PSNI and other groups have expressed concern about the tactics used by such groups.


The PSNI's head of public protection, Detective Chief Superintendent George Clarke commented that there could be a "circumstance where an individual who has done nothing wrong is wrongly identified and is placed across social media as being someone who is a child sexual abuse offender".

Sinn Fein Councillor Sean Doran was "totally shocked" that this had occurred in Kilkeel.

"People need to be very careful and remember that our world is a very dangerous place, especially for our young people.

I was relieved to hear that no one was put in danger and while it is extremely worrying that this could have happened on our streets, it is a hard lesson for us all to learn." DUP Councillor Glyn Hanna pointed out that this group has made mistakes in the past.

"If the claims are correct, then anyone like this individual should not be allowed into the country," he said.

"I am aware that the criteria for seamen differs to that of other workers coming into the UK however and this needs to be looked at.

I am also concerned about how this group deals with these people however and the question has to be asked why didn't they contact the police at an earlier stage?"

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete