Ballyvea take back Dalzell Cup.

Wednesday, 3 January 2018

Ballyvea take back Dalzell Cup. thumbnailBallyvea celebrate their win.

THE Bobby Dalzell Cup made its way back to the Mournes on Boxing night after Ballyvea came out on top 3-1 against Division 1 side Ballynahinch Olympic at a sun-drenched Meadowvale.

Ballynahinch Olympic...1

Ballyvea were firm favourites to make no mistake on this occasion and that is exactly what they did, in a measured performance on a perfect pitch.

Olympic did start well and could have gone ahead but Lyons missed out with a half chance at the back post.

However, right on cue 16 minutes in, Ballyvea went ahead with a well-taken goal. Mark Burden picked up the ball, knocked it into Mark Glenna, who curled in a wonderful shot into the top corner of Olympic's net from all of 20 yards to rock Olympic back on their heels.

Before Ballynahinch could catch their breath Ballyvea had doubled their lead after 21 minutes.

Keith Hanna's corner floated in, only to be knocked out by return with Mark McConnell launching it into the net with the help of a deflection.

Olympic had few chances with one arriving on 30 minutes after a stylish run down the flank by the lively Jack Ruddy, but Karl Lewis was wasteful with his finish.

Another chance went abegging when James Mc- Clean was also wasteful.

Olympic were back in the game just before halftime when McClean finished to the net after an assist from Karl Lewis.

The second half started with both teams knowing the next goal was the important one.

And so it turned out to be, as Ballyvea looked to have put the tie to bed on 54 minutes after a Glenna corner was picked up by Mark Burden, who after a deft touch, found the bottom of the net.

In fairness, Ballynahinch did not give up and kept battling to get back in the game with efforts from Stephen McGoran, who failed to produce from an assist from Karl Lewis.

Lyons then was slack with his finish after a classy one-two with Dougan.

As the crowd started to dwindle, Olympic could have got back in the game, but all too late as Dougan missed from the penalty spot after Disney had been brought down by substitute Jeffrey Stewart.

Minutes later the final whistle sounded and Ballyvea had won the cup. Man of the Match was Keith Hanna of Ballyvea.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete