Two out of three Boxing Day cups come home to Mourne.

Wednesday, 3 January 2018

IT WAS a case of Kirk meeting Bobby in Mourne last Tuesday (26 December) night as both Kilkeel Hockey Club and Ballyvea FC celebrated winning their Boxing Day Cups.

However, it was misery for neighbouring Valley Rangers as they lost their Bob Radcliffe Cup final 3-1.

The historic win for the Mourne hockey club saw them take the Kirk Cup to Kilkeel for the first time in the club's history, as they beat Mossley 3-2 on penalties.

After the game finished 1-1 after normal time, Mark Stevenson held his nerve to score the decisive penalty.

Ryan Cunningham netted for Kilkeel in normal time with Jordan Robinson levelling from a penalty stroke.

Ireland player Jessica McMaster scored both goals for Queen's as they took the Women's Ulster Shield for the first time since 1933 beating Lurgan 2-1.

The Kirk Cup decider was an excellent advert for Ulster hockey with Mossley's Aaron Boyd and Kilkeel's John Finlay both denied by the woodwork in the first half.

It was a similar pattern after the interval as Kilkeel goalkeeper, Samuel Morris saved well from Irish international John Jackson and his opposite number, Owen Doole stopped a David Finlay effort.

Then with five minutes remaining a long overhead caught out the Mossley defence and while Doole saved the initial effort from Cunningham, the Kilkeel forward hammered home at the second attempt.

The lead lasted just over a minute when a Joel Cathcart shot was kicked off the line and Robinson converted the penalty stroke for Mossley.

In the shoot-out, after both sides scored two of their first four efforts, Robinson saw his shot come back off the post.

It set the stage for Stevenson to step forward, tuck the ball past Doole and create a little piece of history for Kilkeel.

The Ulster Shield final was a repeat of the 2016 decider won by Lurgan, but Queen's University have been unbeaten in domestic hockey this season and driven on by their Irish internationals Jessica McMaster and Erin Getty, they won the title for the first time since 1933.

The duo combined to open the scoring in the 12th minute from a penalty corner with Mc- Master on hand to turn Getty's shot into the net.

McMaster was on target again before the interval with a neat turn and backhand shot into the corner of the goal.

Lurgan dominated possession after the break and with 20 minutes remaining, got the goal they deserved through Olivia Gibson but in the closing stages they couldn't force an equaliser.

Meanwhile Ballyvea, who were favourites, made no mistake and won in what was " a measured performance on a perfect pitch".


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete