Points taken despite a depleted squad.

Wednesday, 14 February 2018

Points taken despite a depleted squad. thumbnail Moneyslane are poised and ready during their match against AFC Silverwood.

ON Saturday (10 February) the first team welcomed Afc Silverwood to Jubilee Park in an intermediate A league encounter.

Afc Silverwood...0

With a lot of heavy rain over Friday night, it must be said the pitch was in great condition thanks to the work of the club groundsmen.

Moneyslane manager Thornton was without seven first team regulars, with defenders Larmour and Hainon both suspended and Glasgow, Jarosinski, Beckett, Devlin and James Kernaghan all missing through injury.

It was always going to be a tough test to the already depleted squad with Jonny Kernaghan not just fit enough to start, it saw a makeshift team take to the pitch.

Skipper Mark Ervine was making his return to action after suspension and Keith McVitty came back in at full back where he had a solid game, along with Pierce who filled in at left back on the day.

The opening 10 minutes of the match were tight with both teams cancelling each other out.

In the 12th minute Moneyslane thought they had taken the lead following some great play through midfield.

Kingsmore chipped the balm to the back post to Graham who headed home but the referee deemed the striker was in an offside position.

The visitors had a good chance go begging shortly after when their number 10 got onto a cross from the right but couldn't keep his effort on target.

Moneyslane were playing some great free-flowing football with Adams having a great game in the middle of the park. He played a clever ball inside the left back where Kingsmore broke through and fired a shot across goal that was well saved by the Afc 'kee per as Moneyslane started to turn the screw.

Midway through the half Gareth Ringland thought he had given Slane the lead with a superb finish from the edge of the area, but again the referee disallowed the goal for an apparent foul in the build up, it was looking like one of those days.

The Craigavon side was a danger from set plays and they forced a couple of corners, which had to be well defended by the Slane rearguard with McClurg coming and plucking a few out of the air to take the pressure of the defence.

Moneyslane in truth should have done better with a couple of late chances just before half time, but for poor decision making and slack passing along with some solid defending, made sure both teams went in level at the break.

Moneyslane took to the pitch in the second half looking to build on a good finish in the opening 45 minutes.

Straight from the off they forced a corner which was cleared to Pierce who delivered a great cross where McBur ney's goal-bound effort looked to have struck the arm of the defender, but the referee waved away strong appeals from the Slane players.

The game was getting a little feisty with two Afc players finding their way into the referee's notebook along with Graham and McVitty as both teams were fighting for every loose ball.

Moneyslane were growing in confidence as the game went on and almost went in front on the hour mark.

Harron played Kingsmore down the left, his clever movement and cross picked out Graham at the back post, but his header went over the bar.

With 25 minutes left Moneyslane had the ball in the net for a third time on the day as McBurney reacted quickest to a loose ball inside the visitors' box, but his goal was ruled out for offside.

The Slane players were left wondering what they would have to do to break the deadlock.

The game was coming into the final 20 minutes when the Moneyslane management team took a risk bringing on Johnny Kernaghan for McBurney who put in a good shift up front.

The game had been stopped for a free kick on just outside the Afc box after Graham was upended.

It certainly didn't take Kernaghan long to make his mark on the game as he went straight to the dead ball and curled a delightful free kick up over the wall back across goal and into the top left hand corner of the Afc net, much to the delight of the Moneyslane supporters, 1-0.

Local lad Ben Clydesdale then was brought into the game replacing Graham, who again had a good solid game up front.

Ben has played his way up through the club, starting for the thirds before being called into the second string lately, where he has had some fine performances making last weekend's first team debut all the better.

The young forward had a great impact with the visitors struggling to cope with the pace and trickery of the young lad, as he won a couple of early free kicks.

Kernaghan floated in a dangerous cross which was headed behind for a corner kick from the right.

Ringland took the resulting corner where young Clydesdale stole a yard on his marker and glanced a header off the post, which would have capped off a great debut.

Moneyslane 'keeper McClurg had very little to do all afternoon, with anything he had to deal with he did well.

On the stroke of full time he had to be quick off his line and bravely threw himself at the feet of the Afc striker, who already committed to the tackle.

The Slane shot stopper insured the points all stayed at Jubilee after a solid performance from the depleted Jubilee Park outfit.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete