High five for Slane as semi-final place secure.

Wednesday, 28 February 2018

MONEYSLANE Swifts entertained local rivals Rathfriland Rangers Swifts in the quarter final of the Mid Ulster League cup, which was played on the 4G pitch at Rathfriland High School.

Rathfriland Swifts...1
Moneyslane Swifts...5

Slane entered the game as underdogs as Rathfriland are a league above, but this certainly wasn't the case as Moneyslane controlled the match with ease.

Right from the first whistle it was easy to see that Moneyslane were up for this match as they gave their opponents no time to settle.

Ben Clydesdale and club legend, Andy Boyd both came close with longrange efforts which were both saved by Rathfriland's No.1.

Lee Patterson and Curtis Gibson were both causing trouble down the wings, with Rathfriland's full backs struggling to deal with their pace and trickery.

Against the run of play Rathfriland took the lead when their No.9 broke the offside trap, and squared the ball to his waiting strike partner who simply tapped into the Moneyslane net.

This surprise lead gave the visitors some much-needed confidence but Slane's back four of Butler, Hamilton, A Gibson and Galloway were in fine form and easily dealt with anything that was thrown at them.

Slane soon took back control and deservedly grabbed an equaliser when Robin Butler's bullet header found the top corner giving the Rathfriland 'keeper no chance.

Slane pushed on from this and created numerous chances before half time but the score remained 1 all at half time.

Slane started the second half as they finished the first and it wasn't long before they took the lead.

Curtis Gibson capitalised on a defensive mistake, between the Rathfriland 'keeper and his own centre half, when he latched onto the loose ball and from a tight angle fired the ball into the net, sending the Slane bench wild with delight, 2-1.

Five minutes later Gibson scored again with a neat finish from close range as Moneyslane's dominance finally paid off, 3-1.

Manager Jackson then gave a debut to new signing Kamil Koc, who replaced Andy Boyd who put in a great shift up front. Steven Rowland also replaced Philly Galloway who had a solid game at left back.

Ben Clydesdale, who was causing havoc all game, scored to make it 4-1.

Patterson played a great ball through two defenders and young Ben latched onto it and slotted into the bottom left-hand corner.

Neil Bingham then replaced Lee Patterson in midfield who had a great game against his old club, and absolutely tortured the Rathfriland right back all afternoon.

Rathfriland's No.17 was then booked for a nasty challenge on Gibson with Clydesdale unlucky to see his long-range effort tipped over the bar from the resulting free kick.

Kamil, who impressed when he came on, came close to opening his account for Moneyslane as he forced the Rathfriland 'keeper into two fine saves.

Rathfriland then had a short spell when the finally had a few efforts on goal themselves but Slane's 'keeper Dunn, who was largely a spectator for the second half, easily dealt with anything that was put his way.

Michael Corbett and Ethan Scott continued to dominate the midfield battle with Scottie getting his name on the scoresheet with a fantastic strike from 30 yards sailing into the top corner, 5-1.

Slane dominated possession for the remainder of the game with some neat and tidy passing. The ref blew the final whistle sending Moneyslane into the semi-final, much to the delight of the Slane players and management.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete