Slane slay Saints

Wednesday, 7 December 2016

Slane slay Saints thumbnailMoneyslane make an attempt on their opponents goals.

ON Saturday the firsts entertained Portadown side, St Mary s FC and took all the points after a strong second half performance.

Moneyslane ...2
St Mary s ...0

The game got underway and it was Slane who had the first couple of chances, both coming from free kicks just outside the visitors box.

Firstly Withers curled an effort just wide of the left upright and minutes later Kernaghan whipped the ball over the wall and again was unlucky not to find the top corner of the visitors goal.

At the other end Crawford had to be quick off his line to smother the ball from the onrushing striker. St Mary s kept pushing and had two efforts from distance go wide, as they looked for the opening goal.

Moneyslane were playing some great free-flowing football and saw another chance come their way when from a great move down the right saw Reese fire a shot, which the keeper could only parry to Kernaghan who did well under pressure to get the shot off, but couldn t keep his volley down from six yards out.

In the dying moments of the first half Kingsmore had a shot well saved and Harron fired over from the edge of the area. Half time Moneyslane 0-0 St Mary s.

The second half started in similar fashion as the first ended, with Slane pushing for the all-important opening goal of the game.

The midfield was turning into a real battle and Slane skipper Ervine was winning the ball back countless times, stopping and threatening his defence behind him.

Moneyslane right back Hainon combined well with Reese, who played in Kingsmore who drove past his marker and cut the ball back to Kernaghan, who broke into the visitors box but he pulled his shot narrowly wide of the right upright.

With the second half midway through, the visitors centre half was booked as he fouled Reese 10 yards outside his box.

Harron stood over the ball and played a delightful ball into Withers, who timed his run well to power a header that looked all the way to be going in.

Again the visiting keeper made another fantastic save to keep the scores locked at 0-0.

Frustration was starting to grow as it looked like it wasn't going to be Moneyslane s day.

However, with 15 minutes left on the clock the opening goal arrived when Withers played in Kingsmore who raced in from the right flank and smashed a shot across the keeper into the far bottom corner of the St Mary s net, much to the delight of the Moneyslane players and supporters, 1-0.

Minutes later Moneyslane forced another corner kick and Kernaghan whipped in a great ball, which was headed into his own net by a St Mary s player to all but finish the game off, 2-0.

Moneyslane manager Thornton brought on fresh legs with Ferguson, Adair and Kidd coming on for Kingsmore, Reese and Kernaghan and the three men all put in a big shift for the team on the day.

Moneyslane squandered possession in midfield and the St Mary s man picked out a great pass in behind the Slane defence to their left winger, who found himself one-on-one with Slane keeper Crawford, who threw himself at the feet of the player making an excellent save to ensure he kept another clean sheet on his second appearance for the club.

This was to be the last action of the half as referee Murray blew for full time and Moneyslane picked up another three points in a tricky game.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete