Three points taken in tricky Camlough match

Wednesday, 8 February 2017

Three points taken in tricky Camlough match thumbnailSkipper Bingham supports his team mate in defence as Moneyslane Reserves took on Markethill Swifts.

MONEYSLANE were on their travels again as they took on Camlough Rovers in the league.

Camlough Rovers ...0
Moneyslane ...2

The last game between the two sides up at Jubilee saw a rampant Slane run out comfortable 10-0 winners, but they knew this game would be a different story altogether.

The game got underway on a poor pitch that suited the home team as they were used to playing on it every other weekend, but in truth Slane started very sluggish as they were second to every ball in the opening 10 minutes of the game.

Camlough started brightly and from the first corner of the game their centre back headed over Crawford's crossbar after making himself a yard of space.

Moneyslane were guilty of making the same mistake moments later when, from another inswinging corner from the right, the same Camlough player fired wide again unmarked as the hosts looked to go in front early on the day.

Moneyslane did have a chance on the quarter hour mark when a good move down the left saw Kidd and Devlin link up well before they later played Withers in wide left, his shot was straight at the 'keeper from a tight angle.

The Camlough 'keeper was to have a good day as minutes later a great through ball from Ervine saw Reese take the ball in his stride and race through the Camlough half as he went one-on-one with the 'keeper, his shot was well saved.

With 25 minutes on the clock, Moneyslane did take the lead when Adair beat two men on the halfway line before releasing Hainon down the right, his first time cross was palmed out by the home 'keeper as Withers was about to tap in from six yards.

However, the 'keeper could only look on as Reese dispatched a fine half volley into the bottom left hand corner of the Camlough net for the opening goal of a scrappy match, 0-1.

Camlough looked to hit back immediately as their striker picked out a late run in behind the Moneyslane back line, but Davy Crawford was quickly off his line to save with his feet to ensure Slane kept their lead going into the final minutes of the half.

Kidd was having a good game in midfield, trying to get on the ball as much as possible and he almost scored from the edge of the area, as his shot just evaded the Camlough upright and skipper Ervine had a shot go over the top, as Slane looked to double their lead on the stroke of half time.


Half time: Camlough 0-1 Moneyslane.

The second half restarted and as expected, Camlough came out strong but the Slane back line stood strong and defended their area well.

The match was becoming really scrappy, but Slane were trying to play as much football as possible, but on a very soft pitch it was extremely hard as players continued losing their footing at the wrong time.

Reese almost doubled his tally for the day as Harron spotted his run and chipped a great ball into the striker, who smashed a great shot that looked to hit the top corner of the Camlough net, only for their 'keeper to pull off another great save.

Moneyslane kept applying pressure and Adair was next to go close as his goal-ward shot was blocked on the edge of the six yard box with a well-timed last-ditch tackle from the Camlough centre half.

With just over an hour on the clock Slane manager Thornton replaced Adair with Kernaghan as the front man picked up an injury.

Withers was a thorn in the Camlough defence and he was upended on the edge of the area. Kernaghan's free kick was whipped into the back post, but unfortunately three Moneyslane players couldn't get that all-important touch to the ball that would have doubled their lead.

Ryan McIlroy was brought on for Harron and it didn't take him long to make his impact on the game. A great break from Devlin out of defence saw him whip a great cross onto the Camlough box, where McIlroy rose highest to glance a header into the far bottom corner of the Camlough net past the diving 'keeper, 0-2.

Moneyslane, now with the two-goal cushion, applied more pressure on the Camlough defence. Firstly Kernaghan fired a great effort that looked all the way like going into the corner of the net, but again the home 'keeper pushed it around the post in another great save.

Gareth Reese was then replaced by Jason Fairley with a quarter of an hour left on the clock. Camlough were penned in for most of the second half, but a rare break saw their nippy striker find himself free on the edge of the Moneyslane box, but his shot sailed over Crawford's bar.

The game was all but over but Slane could have added another couple of goals only for some fine defending and goalkeeping from the home side.

Fairley had a shot saved from a tight angle and Ervine had another well blocked on the edge of the box, along with another smart one-on-one save from the Camlough 'keeper as Withers looked to poke home from just inside the box.

The game finished up and Moneyslane came away with all three points in what was a very tricky match. Full time: Camlough Rovers 0-2 Moneyslane.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete