First defeat of the year

Wednesday, 15 February 2017

SATURDAY saw the firsts travel to Glenavy to take on Crewe United in the league.

Crewe United...3

The game got underway with both teams finding it tough going with strong winds. Neither keeper had much to do in the opening half hour with some fine defending from both sides.

Moneyslane forced a number of corners around the half hour mark and only some great last ditch blocks and saves from the Crewe keeper kept the scores level going into the half time interval. 

Half time: Crewe 0-0 Moneyslane 

After the half time break the wind seemed to pick up somewhat with goal kicks lucky to reach thirty yards out as the Crewe men were able to squeeze Slane right back into their defensive third.

Gareth Reese had a great chance to open the scoring but his shot was brilliantly saved one on one by the home keeper and minutes later the same player had a shot across goal well cleared at the back post as Harron was about to tap in.

Moneyslane squandered possession on the half way line and Crewe broke in numbers which resulted in skipper Ervine getting booked for a foul thirty five yards from goal. With a strong wind behind the striker any effort on goal would spell trouble for the Slane side.

The striker smashed a vicious effort which looked like hitting the top corner only for Crawford to get across and push it onto the crossbar but their number six was on hand to nod in the rebound from four yards out. 

Moneyslane responded well again were unlucky not to get on level terms as Withers and Kernaghan went close but football can be a cruel game at times as when Slane were on the front foot Crewe were awarded a soft free kick in the exact same place as the first one.

Again it was their striker who stepped up but this time Crawford could do nothing with the shot as it flew into the top corner to extend the home sides lead. 2-0. 

Moneyslane midfielder Ringland had to be replaced after he took a nasty injury to his right ankle Ferguson came on as Slane reshuffled the pack to try get back into the game. Kidd replaced Devlin with the Slane going three at the back as they threw caution to the wind in the last fifteen minutes.

With the game all but over Crewe added a third goal which looked offside but the striker got the benefit of the doubt from the referee. 3-0

Final score: Crewe United 3-0 Moneyslane.

Manager Thornton spoke after the game.

“Today was a tale of two halves we had the better of the first and Crewe edged the second. We squandered three clear goal scoring chances in the first half and one in the second and it came back to bite us.

“The wind played a big part in the game as both teams struggled to cope with it, their two free kicks without that wind would be comfortable for Crawford but the minute it left the strikers boot you just knew if it was on target we would struggle to stop it.

“That's our first loss of the year and we have had some very hard games on the bounce there so it's not the end of the world we're still having a great season but I'll expect the boys to bounce back in the next match."


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete