Slane too strong for Valley men

Wednesday, 16 August 2017

Slane too strong for Valley men thumbnailA double tackle from Moneyslane at Jubilee Park

LAST Tuesday saw the first team kick off their first home fixture of the season against derby rivals, Valley Rangers and on the night just had too much for the men from the back of the mountain to handle.

Valley Rangers...0

Manager Thornton made three changes to the starting line up with McLean and Kingsmore both returning from injury, replacing Beckett and Larmour and Hainon replaced devlin at full back.

As expected the game started at a frantic pace with neither side holding back in the challenges in the opening spells.

In the first 10 minutes both sides sized each other up but it was Slane who started the brightest, with Kernaghan nicking the ball just inside the Valley half before firing a right foot shot, that was well saved by the visitors' number one.

Midway through the first half Moneyslane opened the scoring when striker Adam McBurney brought the ball down well, before hooking it around the corner for Kingsmore who made no mistake.

When one-on-one with the 'keeper he coolly slotted into the bottom right hand corner from 12 yards out, 1-0.

Valley seemed to kick into life after this setback and they showed in a 15-minute spell just why they are well fancied for league honours come May.

Andy Graham had a couple of efforts go over the top and Valley forced a number of corners late on in the half with two of them resulting in goalmouth scrambles.

But Shilliday and then McLean were on hand to clear the danger.

With the Slane attack causing Valley problems with their movement and pace, Slane were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position just outside the Valley b ox .

Spence caused the covering defender all sorts of problems, the big defender handled the ball to stop the break through.

Gareth Ringland curled a shot low around the wall, which just missed the bottom right corner with the Valley 'keeper at full stretch to cover the corner.

The first half finished with Valley again going close from inside the box, as their number nine shot wide of Crawford's left upright.

A slight change in shape at half time saw Moneyslane return to the field hungry to find that all important second goal.

Kernaghan went close from outside the box and Spence had a volley well blocked for a corner.

Valley went up the other end from a breakaway and should have levelled the scoring on the night. Andy Graham ran the channel well before crossing to the back post, where their midfielder timed his run well to coast in unmarked, but somehow he couldn't get his effort on target as he blazed over from six yards out.

The second goal came on the hour mark and it was probably the best bit of football Moneyslane played all night.

Skipper Ervine linked well with Ferguson, who played a neat one-two wide with Kingsmore, a quick pass inside the Valley fullback saw Ringland whip a dangerous ball in from the right where McBurney got across his marker to head home from 10 yards to send the large support into uproar, 2-0.

With the score now 2-0, Kingsmore made way for Beckett with the striker coming off the pitch to great applause after a hard shift upfront.

Beckett didn't take long to make his stamp on the game as he played a quick one-two with Kernaghan before curling in a dangerous cross first time and again that man, McBurney was on point to head his second on the night and Moneyslane's third, 3-0.

This was to be the striker's last action of the night as he made way for Montgomery. Again the fans made the new striker know what it's like to play for the BAWA. Valley, now well beaten, still piled forward in search for a way back into the game, but the Slane back four of Ferguson, Shilliday, McLean and Hainon stood strong to everything the Kilkeel men had to throw at them.

On a number of occasions the back four and indeed the players in front put their bodies on the line, blocking a number of Valley shots on the edge of the box.

The game was coming into the final quarter of an hour when summer signing, Dean Spence broke the offside trap before smashing the ball into the far right corner of the net past the helpless Valley 'keeper as he reeled away to celebrate with the fans who again were in full voice, 4-0.

Spence like his strike partner McBurney was then subbed off for Larmour, who was brought on to keep things tight at the back.

Valley became more dangerous in the last 10 minutes with Moneyslane happy to sit in and play counterattack football.

Moneyslane produced one last goalscoring opportunity when Montgomery spotted the run of Kernaghan, who drove into the box from the right hand side, but couldn't keep his shot under the crossbar.

In the final minute of the game the visitors had their best chance of the game, when Andy Graham spun on the edge of the box before firing a sharp shot low into the right.

Big Davy Crawford produced a fantastic one-hand save to deny the striker and ensure he kept his second clean sheet in a matter of days.

This was to be the final action of the game, as the referee blew for full time as a rampant Slane proved to be too strong on the night for the Valley men.

Match sponsored by David McCully and Son.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete