McKibbin gets two tries on debut.

Wednesday, 6 September 2017

McKibbin gets two tries on debut. thumbnail Banbridge seconds engulf a PSNI advancement.

DEBUTANT Jordan McKibbin celebrated his 18th birthday with two tries to help Banbridge Seconds to a bonus point win over PSNI at Rifle Park in the Kukri Conference League 2.


With thirteen changes to the starting side from last week's reversal at Ards, Bann unsurprisingly took time to find their rhythm and the Police side took an early lead with a long range penalty after fifteen minutes.

Matthew Bell, a welcome returnee after a long-term injury, and Angus Corbett provided great lineout ball all afternoon and with Johnny Weir and Ryan Hughes both carrying strongly it wasn't long before Bann were on the scoreboard.

An attack deep into the opposition '22' forced a series of five metre scrums that culminated with scrum half Jason Gribbon bursting over from close range to touch down.

Robin Thompson added the conversion.

Alas, Bann switched off at the restart allowing the PSNI centre to go through a large gap in the home defence and run in from 40 metres. The conversion was successful giving the visitors a 10-7 lead.

A flurry of scores saw the lead change hands several times again before half time. First McKibbin got his opening try after Bann had worked the play through several phases to create space for the young winger to squeeze in at the corner.

PSNI responded with a further penalty before Bann finished the half in the ascendancy, Hughes shrugging off several attempted tackles to barge over under the posts.

Thompson's conversion was successful giving Bann a 19-13 lead at the break.

Bann dominated the beginning of the second period as Macauley Little and Thompson made full use of the breeze to keep the Rifle Park men camped deep in PSNI territory.


Weir got the try his impressive all-round performance deserved when he crashed over for an unconverted score.

Then a flowing back move saw Ross Cartmill release McKibbin down the left wing.

Just when it seemed he was out of space, he side stepped sharply inside, bamboozling three defenders to score his second and Bann's fifth of the day. Thompson's conversion gave Bann a seemingly comfortable 31-13 lead, but to their credit the PSNI persevered and two tries in quick succession reduced the deficit to just six points.

But a late Thompson penalty ensured there was no sting in the tail and the Seconds enjoyed their first victory of the season. A bye in the first round of the Junior Cup means the Seconds have a break this Saturday, before resuming their league campaign away at Limavady the following week.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete