Poor defending leads to miserable day for Slane.

Wednesday, 22 November 2017

ON Saturday (18 November) the first team were on their travels again, this time in the Intermediate Cup to Larne to play amateur league 1A side, St Pat's FC at the Cliff.

St Pat's FC...5

The large 4G pitch saw some great football played in the opening half hour from both teams, with each side having early chances.

The hosts' number nine missed a header from six yards out and at the other end McBurney had a volley well saved from 10 yards out.

Moneyslane however, did make the breakthrough from the resulting corner.

Kernaghan found Ringland, who rose highest inside the box to power a header past the static Pat's 'keeper, 0-1.

Joy was short-lived as no less than two minutes later the scores were level.

A long ball was misjudged by Ferguson with the striker cutting inside and slotting under McClurg in the Moneyslane goal, 1-1.

With the game all square there was a number of cards shown to the hosts and Hainon picked up a silly booking for kicking the ball away.

The Moneyslane defender was next to go close, however when his header went inches wide of the far post with McVitty unable to tap in from a yard out.

Moneyslane were having the better of the exchanges and went in front again on the day, when Kernaghan drove at the St Pat's defence before teeing up Ferguson, who fired a shot low into the bottom corner of the hosts net, 2-1.

Both teams had half chances as the first half drew to a close but the scores remained level at the break.

Half time: St Pat's 1-2 Moneyslane.

The second half restarted in the same manner as the first ended, with both teams having a real go at each other with some neat football being played.

Moneyslane got the third goal on 60 minutes when a good break down the left saw Hainon cut back to Kernaghan inside the box, whose first time shot found the bottom corner of the St Pat's net, 1-3.

Similar to the first half, St Pat's hit back immediately from a corner and schoolboy marking allowed their striker to take a touch and poke home unmarked inside the six-yard box, 2-3.

If that goal was hard to take, then no less than five minutes later things got even worse for Moneyslane.

McLean's pass out of defence landed straight at the feet of the striker who made no mistake punishing the slack defending, 3-3.

With the home side's tails up they went in front for the first time in the day, but yet again it was a mistake.

The amateur league side punished another slack pass at the back, which saw their striker let the shot go from the edge of the area, which took a deflection off McLean and looped up over McClurg into the top corner of the Moneyslane net, 4-3.

Adam McBurney almost drew the teams level when a great move down the Slane left saw a deep cross to the back post, but the big striker couldn't get enough on the ball.

With 10 minutes remaining McVitty hit a great first time volley, which went inches wide of the upright and Kernaghan had a half volley excellently saved by the hosts' 'keeper.

The amateur league side added a fifth goal as Slane pushed for the equaliser again.

Poor defending allowed their number nine to take a touch and shoot from inside the area to all but finish the contest, on what was a miserable day in Larne for the Mid Ulster side.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete